Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Delta storage

From: Zbynek Winkler
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Delta storage
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 16:43:19 +0200

Bruce Stephens wrote:

Given a revision B and C does it matter if you say "we store B->C"  or
"B<-C"? In both cases once you have one of the revisions you can
reconstruct the other. No? The only difference would be where it
starts...
Not all deltas are reversible.  If the delta B->C says "delete lines
38-57", then that doesn't let you construct the delta C->B.  (monotone
stores binary deltas of the xdelta form, I believe, but I think the
same sort of thing can happen in those.)
I see. I guess I was thinking more in the terms of patchfiles and the lines with "+" or "-" at the beginning. So the question is - are all deltas in monotone reversible? I remember something about reversing deltas for the 'update' command when updating working copy to be based on a different revision before commit...? That revision doesn't need to be a parent, it can be a sibling...

Zbynek

--
http://zw.matfyz.cz/     http://robotika.cz/
Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic