Re: [Monotone-devel] projects using monotone?

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] projects using monotone?
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 17:03:07 -0700

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 11:12:57PM +0200, Zbynek Winkler wrote:
> 2) compilation time
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/monotone-devel/2005-06/msg00136.html -
> this has improved mainly with gcc4.0 to the point that I am able to
> compile from source but it is still a major pain in the ... because any
> fixes I could try (or develop myself) take just to much time :(

Yeah, this really is annoying.  Sorry about that.

Maybe someone would be interested in looking at adding precompiled
header support to the build system?  It's got some funky pitfalls:
   http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.0.2/gcc/Precompiled-Headers.html
but should be reasonably straightforward.  I don't know how much of a
win it would be.  Anything that made builds faster would sure help...

When the flush of a new-born sun fell first on Eden's green and gold,
Our father Adam sat under the Tree and scratched with a stick in the mould;
And the first rude sketch that the world had seen was joy to his mighty heart,
Till the Devil whispered behind the leaves, "It's pretty, but is it Art?"
  -- The Conundrum of the Workshops, Rudyard Kipling