Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone disapprove does not give correct branch ce

From: Wim Oudshoorn
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone disapprove does not give correct branch cert
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 19:53:23 +0200

Emile Snyder <address@hidden> writes:

> Yuck.  cert.cc:guess_branch(revision) defaults to using
> app.branch_name() if one is set; ie. you are in a working copy.
> There are 4 commands using guess_branch to decide how to cert a new
> revision:
>
> approve
> disapprove
> checkout
> commit

>From these only commit and disapprove will create a new revision
in the database.   So approve and checkout should not add any branch
certificate.

Now commit makes only sense inside a working directory, so taking
by default the revision of the current working directory is fine.

But disapprove you give an explicit revision, so in which directory
you are should be irrelevant.  AFAICT there are two more or less
reasonable options,

  disapprove REV

should get:

* all branch certificates from REV
or
* no branch certificate at all.

I lean towards the second options for the following reason,
it is not clear beforehand what the full collection of branch
certificates of REV is.  A sync can add new branch certificates
to an existing revision.

> I would argue that only commit should default to using the working copy
> value if one is set.  approve and disapprove both take a revision as a
> specific argument; I can sort of see using the value of the working copy
> branch if that given revision has no branch cert, but not the other way
> around.

No I would be against taking some arbitrary branch just because
an explict revision argument does not have a branch certificate
by itself.

> Am I missing something?

I don't know, but I don't think so.

> thanks,