[Monotone-devel] Re: Feature request: monotone grep

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Feature request: monotone grep
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 16:54:52 +0000

Shaun Jackman <address@hidden> writes:

> SYNOPSIS
>       monotone grep [-r FROM] [-r TO] PATTERN [FILE]...
>
> DESCRIPTION
>       Search the named input FILEs between revisions FROM and TO for
>       lines matching the regular expression PATTERN.

The FROM and TO seem underspecified.  I guess you mean ancestors of TO
which aren't ancestors of FROM (and FROM has to be an ancestor of TO,
I guess)?  (Also files may have changed names, of course, but it's
reasonable to overlook that for a first hack, I think.)

I'd worry that people would want to use other flags of grep, and then
where do you stop?

On Unix, I'd imagine this kind of functionality being provided by
scripting (I think all the base features are there to provide it).

Can't the same thing be done acceptably on Windows (in Python, say)?