Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Feature request: monotone grep

From: Marcel van der Boom
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Feature request: monotone grep
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 20:06:38 +0100

On 9 nov 2005, at 19:36, Bruce Stephens wrote:

I posted that idea a while ago. The most important application for
such a construct for us is having scripts distributed to the people
in our project. (like inside the repo, inside MT dir would be
perfect) So they can be rev controlled and maintained alongside the
actual project code.

Well, there's no problem in a group of people adopting some suitable
conventions.  For example, you could have a branch "tools" that you
always check out and add to your path, and you could have a
shellscript or something to help automate that.
Yep, that's basically what we do now.

That wouldn't affect monotone.  I understood that some people wanted
to alter monotone in such a way that such scripts or programs would be
called by subcommands of monotone.
That would be me too. :-)

My guess is that it would be better to wait, and maybe after the core
program has settled then it'll be easier to see how to safely expose
suitable functionality to lua functions.
I think i agree with that, also based on the lack of enthusiasm for the idea. I can totally relate to this not being a priority at this point in time.

marcel

--
Marcel van der Boom
HS-Development BV               --   http://www.hsdev.com