[Monotone-devel] Roster branch update

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Roster branch update
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 18:11:09 -0800

Just to give people an update on the status of the roster branch...
we're starting to get close to having something usable.  Occasionally
clunky and with rough spots, but usable.  It's also at the point where
most of what's left to get it usable is fixing a bunch of smallish
relatively independent things, so if anyone feels like helping out,
this is a great time to start getting familiar with the New World
Order.

I've just taken some time to update the todo list so everyone can see
more details:
  http://venge.net/monotone/wiki/RostersTodo

The main things left are:
  -- graph traversal for 'annotate'
  -- 'automate get_manifest'
  -- 'disapprove'
  -- 'db check'
  -- 'cvs_import'
  -- updating sideways or backwards
  -- more tests

In our first benchmark, the rosters code was 1.74 times faster to do a
fresh pull of net.venge.monotone than current mainline.  Not clear yet
how much this can be improved by further optimization, or how
generalizable it is (I _think_ the rosters code should do even better
on larger trees, but I haven't tried), but this seems encouraging.

Cheers,

Details are all that matters; God dwells there, and you never get to
see Him if you don't struggle to get them right. -- Stephen Jay Gould

This email may be read aloud.