Re: [Monotone-devel] windows *cough* NT4 support?

From: Matthew Gregan
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] windows *cough* NT4 support?
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 09:42:10 +1300

At 2005-11-25T21:39:52+1100, Daniel Carosone wrote:
> I have the embarassing misfortune to need to use NT4 at certain sites,
> and would love to use monotone to avoid certain aspects of this pain
> as much as possible :)

It'll be good to have someone testing monotone on older Windows versions--I
only have very recent versions available to me.

I've had one report that monotone ran on Windows 98 without problems, so I
would've expected it to work fine on Windows NT 4 too...

> Sadly the installed binary fails to run, with a popup gui error that
> says:
>
>   The procedure entry point CreateToolhelp32Snapshot could not be
>   located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.

This is being called in Botan's Win32 entropy
collector--Win32_EntropySource::do_slow_poll() in es_win32.cpp.  MSDN states
that this API (and, er, the other API Botan uses for collecting entropy) is
available on every version of Windows except NT 3.x and NT 4.

> Anyone know how this might be resolved? I'm hoping its something
> simple, such as turning on some different flags when building.

You could try that.  The two options that spring to mind immediately are:

 - rebuild without linking in es_win32.cpp (hack Makefile.am) -- this should
   work fine, as Botan also collects entropy via CryptoAPI on Windows.

 - improve Win32_EntropySource::do_slow_poll() to detect at runtime and use
   only those APIs available on the platform.  OpenSSL's RAND_poll might be
   useful for ideas.

Cheers,
-mjg
--