[Monotone-devel] log viewing (was Re: guitone - a Qt-frontend for monoto

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] log viewing (was Re: guitone - a Qt-frontend for monotone)
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 14:45:11 +0000

Bruce Stephens <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> It would be cool to have a log viewer something like gitk or
> gitview, too, IMHO.  I like monotone-viz, and find it indispensible
> for looking at where I last propagated, and stuff, but I think
> something like gitview would be a win for logs.

I guess one way of thinking about this is that monotone-viz shows the
graph and shows log information less conveniently, and gitview and
things primarily show the log with the graph less clearly shown.  I
suspect there's a place for both (though not necessarily in the same
application).

The proof of concept change for gitk to show monotone information has
a patch to monotone to produce a graph for a single branch.

I suspect it would be useful to have "monotone automate graph" take a
list of revisions (optionally, I guess), and produce a contracted
graph induced by those?  Then one could use "monotone automate select
b:net.venge.monotone | monotone automate graph address@hidden" or whatever.
(I've little idea of how to implement that efficiently.)

If one had that kind of functionality, then I'd guess the per-file DAG
could also use that, and presumably there'd be other useful
applications.

(Though really what one wants for gitk/gitview type logs is some
combination of topological sort (probably disambiguated by date order)
and graph, and I'm not sure how to think about that; maybe it's one
operation, or maybe there's no advantage in combining it, and it ought
to be two operations: produce the graph, and produce this specific
topological ordering.)