Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Dumb mutton. Was: monotone dumb progress

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Dumb mutton. Was: monotone dumb progress
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 14:59:37 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Sat, 25 Mar 2006 14:24:36 +0100, Markus
Schiltknecht <address@hidden> said:

markus> On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 08:56 -0800, Steven E. Harris wrote:
markus> > My bike shed is spelled "mt", tape-related program be damned.
markus>
markus> +1 from here.

Honestly, I find that idea incredibly stupid.  Why not change the name
to "emacs" while we're at it?

As far as I know, "mt" is used by quite a lot of admins out there, as
well as being called from a gazillion little scripts and other
programs.  It's a well known program and has been for decades, and is
simply expected to exist and work, period.  Not even Solaris lacks it,
even after Sun's zelous stripping out of useful programs.  Basically,
that program is everywhere in the Unix universe, and calling monotone
by the same name will only cause confusion, conflict, and I imagine
some will choose not to use monotone for that simple name change
alone.

Just imagine the surprise of an admin that was on vacation for a week
and when his back, his backup-to-tape script stops working properly
but spews a few monotone help screens at his face, and then gets to
know that another admin installed monotone while he was away.  I
wouldn't want to be near that admin.  I wouldn't want to be near me in
that kind of situation.

Cheers,
Richard

-----