Re: [Monotone-devel] lots of new certificates?

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] lots of new certificates?
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 01:27:51 -0600

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 08:28 +0200, Lapo Luchini wrote:

> I don't know if using the new "mtn" command has something to do with
> it, but is it normal that today my usual "pull" from venge.net
> downloaded only one revision, but 10817 new certificates?

Not exactly "normal", but very much explainable.

> % mtn-0.26pre2+ pull venge.net
> '{net.venge.monotone,net.venge.monotone.cvssync}'
> monotone: doing anonymous pull; use -kKEYNAME if you need authentication
> monotone: connecting to venge.net
> monotone: finding items to synchronize:
> monotone: certificates | keys | revisions
> monotone:        13074 |   19 |      4327
> monotone: bytes in | bytes out | certs in | revs in
> monotone:    1.8 M |     1.3 M |        0 |       0
> monotone: bytes in | bytes out |    certs in | revs in
> monotone:    5.1 M |     1.3 M | 10817/10817 |     1/1
> monotone: successful exchange with venge.net

A number of old revisions now have two sets of certs, one by
address@hidden (the certs you already had) and one by
address@hidden (the new certs). What happened is that someone
ran a seperate rosterify, probably due to having their own private
branches that were descended from net.venge.monotone, and then kept all
the certs this generated (ie, didn't pull and then delete their
duplicates before syncing). When they synced with off.net all the new
certs got sent, and now we all get them.

Tim