Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Messages in monotone

From: Nicolas Ruiz
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Messages in monotone
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 22:45:13 -0400

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Nicolas Ruiz wrote:
>> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>>> Those are used in spanish.
>> Nobody told me to use those in all these years....
>> </tongue_in_cheek>
>
> That's because we're used to the more widespread plain double quotes
> ("").  But the cool guys say different.  For example, check [1].
> (BTW this guy says that these quotes should be used in french as well.)
>
> The Debian spanish translation group agrees with me [2], so the «» quotes
> are used pervasively there.  I do that as well in Postgres, after
> extensive investigation on the matter because my escepticism mirrored
> yours.

You are correct in that («») can be used to quote in spanish, but
according to the Larousse's "Ortografía Lengua Española", both forms are
equally valid.

I will continue using double quotes though; I'd rather use the widely
used form over the academically correct one. Plus I suspect the debian
translation group is mostly constituted by spaniards, given that they
tend to use words like "fichero" and "castellano", which are hardly ever
used in Latin America.