Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Messages in monotone

From: Alvaro Herrera
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Messages in monotone
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 20:02:15 -0400

Nicolas Ruiz wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Thomas Moschny wrote:
> >> Those are french, aren't they?
> >
> > Those are used in spanish.
>
> Nobody told me to use those in all these years....
> </tongue_in_cheek>

That's because we're used to the more widespread plain double quotes
("").  But the cool guys say different.  For example, check [1].
(BTW this guy says that these quotes should be used in french as well.)

The Debian spanish translation group agrees with me [2], so the «» quotes
are used pervasively there.  I do that as well in Postgres, after
extensive investigation on the matter because my escepticism mirrored
yours.

[1] http://www.medtrad.org/panacea/IndiceGeneral/n11-editorialsousa.pdf
[2] http://www.debian.org/international/spanish/notas

--
Alvaro Herrera                 http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/DXLWNGRJD34J
"Las mujeres son como hondas:  mientras más resistencia tienen,