[Monotone-devel] Was the great 'we don't want automatic recursion' stuff

From: Daniel THOMPSON
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Was the great 'we don't want automatic recursion' stuff supposed to alter automate inventory'?
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:37:03 +0000

Hi Folks

One of the users of the meld/monotone support (that allows meld to be
used as a pre-commit graphical difference tool) has observed a whole
bunch of warning coming out of meld.

I have traced this back to a change in the behavior of 'automate inventory'.

It appears to me that this command has (spuriously?) been caught up in
the --recursive changes much as 'ls missing' was. Unfortunately
'automate inventory' does not support the --recursive option used to
make it useful again.

Example shown below:

butch$ mtn db init --db=test.db
butch$ mkdir localhost.branch
butch$ cd localhost.branch/
butch$ mtn setup --db=../test.db --branch=localhost.branch
butch$ mkdir -p one/two/three
butch$ touch one/two/three/four
butch$ mtn automate inventory
  U 0 0 one/
  U 0 0 one/two/            <- THIS LINE MISSING IN monotone-0.33
  U 0 0 one/two/three/      <- THIS LINE MISSING IN monotone-0.33
  U 0 0 one/two/three/four  <- THIS LINE MISSING IN monotone-0.33

Basically is this a bug or a deliberate change in the behavior of
'automate inventory'?

BTW since the documentation for 'automate inventory' says it lists every
file in the workspace and since 'automate interface_version' has not
changed so there is definitely a bug somewhere ;-)

For the record I'm ambivalent about the changes to things like 'ls
missing' but I really hate 'automate inventory' not listing all the
files in the workspace. It makes bugs in wrapper tools such as meld much
harder to find (in fact I'd really like another state, S, added to allow
_MTN and its children to be listed in inventory as state files but
that's a different issue).

--
Daniel Thompson (STMicroelectronics) <address@hidden>
1000 Aztec West, Almondsbury, Bristol, BS32 4SQ. 01454 462659

If a car is a horseless carriage then is a motorcycle a horseless horse?