[Monotone-devel] Projection of files

From: Matthew Sackman
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Projection of files
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 11:17:07 +0100

Hi,

Monotone explicitly focusses on revisions and the relationship between
revisions. But when you want to project a view based on files, this
seems extraordinarily difficult. For example, how do you find revisions
which modified a particular file? It'd be nice if there was a suitable
selector so you could go mtn automate select f:path/to/the/file.
Similarly, finding the last author of a particular file is another
useful thing to do -- it pretty much boils down to the same problem
though.

Having found the wiki page on selectors
(http://www.venge.net/mtn-wiki/MagicSelectors), this doesn't seem to be
covered there. Is this something that *will never be done* because it's
fundamentally opposed to the monotone way, or has no one needed this so
far? The only way I can currently think of doing it is mtn automate
ancestors and the get_revision on each of those and then search for the
file in question in the output. I'm sure it'd be a lot more efficient
within monotone itself...

Matthew
--
Matthew Sackman