Re: [Monotone-devel] Call for testing: nvm.experiment.no-split-path

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Call for testing: nvm.experiment.no-split-path
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 11:17:44 -0700

On 6/21/07, Derek Scherger <address@hidden> wrote:
I did a couple of regenerate_caches runs and this does go a bit faster
on my laptop (~9m30 before vs ~8m30 after). The utf8::utf8(utf8 const &)
constructor jumps up in the profiles I have from oprofile from .007% to
2.6% if I'm reading things right.

That's a good sign.  Unfortunately I cannot reproduce it myself - on
the aforementioned beefy amd64 box, I'm seeing a very small but
consistent slowdown on the same test (4m20 before, 4m21 after).
oprofile is not cooperating with me (zero samples recorded, no matter
what I do), so I don't know why.

Having the utf8 copy constructor jump up in the profiles is to be
expected; this _is_ doing more copying around of utf8s.  [Vocab items
in general seem to have a lot of extra gubbish attached to them - .ok
booleans, symtabs, and now Tim's made them all double indirect - whose
value I really have to question...]

I'll try a few initial pull runs and let you know how they go as well.

Cool, thanks!

zw