[Monotone-devel] Lack of conflicts checking

From: Julio M. Merino Vidal
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Lack of conflicts checking
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 17:40:28 +0200

Hi!

I just got into a situation where Monotone did not report any error nor warning to me, even though I expected it to do so. What I did is the following:

- I had a workspace in which I dropped a file, because I migrated its
  contents into another one.
- I then detected a bug in the dropped file.
- Following the daggy fixes methodology, I checked out a new workspace
  and fixed that bug where it was introduced.
- I committed this second workspace and merged the two heads.
- Later, I went to the first workspace and ran update.
- Monotone did not complain at all about the change in the dropped file.
  All I got was:

mtn: selected update target 19a3e7c3850ad49713980b203d7102b85a529576
mtn: updated to base revision 19a3e7c3850ad49713980b203d7102b85a529576

Which to me is incorrect because I expected it to raise some form of conflict. After all, those changes made to the dropped file were also supposed to be migrated to the new file. (I knew this, but imagine the fix had been done by a second user. I could not have noticed, and Monotone could have not told me.)

Is my reasoning correct and Monotone is lacking some kind of conflicts checking here?

Thanks,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <address@hidden>