Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Lack of conflicts checking

From: Julio M. Merino Vidal
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Lack of conflicts checking
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 18:35:23 +0200

On 06/08/2007, at 18:03, Bruce Stephens wrote:

"Julio M. Merino Vidal" <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

Which to me is incorrect because I expected it to raise some form of
conflict.  After all, those changes made to the dropped file were
also supposed to be migrated to the new file.  (I knew this, but
imagine the fix had been done by a second user.  I could not have
noticed, and Monotone could have not told me.)

Is my reasoning correct and Monotone is lacking some kind of
conflicts checking here?

How should monotone know that you migrated things from the dropped
file to another file?

I didn't want that.

I suppose monotone could warn (or give a conflict) if, when merging, a
file has been modified in one branch and dropped in another, on the
grounds that the modifications might be significant in some way and so
shouldn't be silently dropped.  That seems likely to lead to lots more
false-positives than would be useful, though.

And this is exactly what I expected.

Let me read first the page linked in the second post :P

Cheers,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <address@hidden>