Re: [Monotone-devel] Ubuntu 6.06

From: Ludovic Brenta
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Ubuntu 6.06
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 12:48:29 +0200

dtempw <address@hidden> writes:
> Hi Ludovic
>
> Thanks for getting back to me. As you can see in the attached
> screenshot, Ubuntu reports 0.33 as the latest version, I'd like to
> upgrade all my systems (MacOS, Windows and Linux) to 0.36, but Linux
> is holding me back.

No, Linux is not holding you back.  What is holding you back is that
you are using a stable "long-term support" version of Ubuntu: this
means no package upgrades unless absolutely necessary (i.e. critical
bug fixes but not new features).  In fact, your Linux is also being
held back unless you've compiled and installed the latest version
(2.6.22.4) manually.

If you absolutely must have the latest version, upgrade to Debian
unstable by editing your /etc/apt/sources.list to point at the Debian
repository instead of the Ubuntu ones.  Then, do "apt-get update;
apt-get dist-upgrade".  monotone 0.36-1 is in unstable but has not
migrated to testing yet, and is being blocked by test failures on some
architectures (this is intentional).

Of course, by migrating to unstable, you take a risk as the name
implies.  As far as I'm concerned, I run Debian testing on my laptop
and I am content with monotone 0.33-8 and linux 2.6.21-6.

--
Ludovic Brenta.