Re: [Monotone-devel] Directory already exists?

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Directory already exists?
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 15:30:46 -0700

Brian May wrote:

>     >> if a directory already exists, so what?  presume it was already
>     >> added by a incomplete update and continue....
>
>     Timothy> We currently think of directories as objects, so stomping
>     Timothy> on an existing directory is just as bad as stomping on an
>     Timothy> existing file.
>
> I consider this a good thing. If I manually created a directory and it
> conflicts with an update, chances are I didn't realize that the
> directory name was already in use. I don't want monotone to assume
> that the purpose of the new directory is compatible with the directory
> in the repository, as this may not be the case.

It might be nice to have pluggable (probably via lua hooks) automatic
conflict resolution strategies. These could range from very conservative
(fail if there's anything in the way), to very aggressive (clobber
anything in the way).

There are times I think I would like to have something a bit more less
extreme though. If a file is blocked by some other file, just leave the
blocker alone and let me run status and diff to see what is up. If a
directory is blocked by another directory again just assume the two are
the same and let me investigate. Files blocking directories or vice
versa would not fit in this category.

Cheers,
Derek