Re: [Monotone-devel] Directory already exists?

From: William Uther
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Directory already exists?
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:50:12 +0000

On 18/12/2007, at 12:58 AM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:

On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 06:15:11PM +1100, Brian May wrote:
"Timothy" == Timothy Brownawell <address@hidden> writes:

if a directory already exists, so what?  presume it was already
added by a incomplete update and continue....

   Timothy> We currently think of directories as objects, so stomping
   Timothy> on an existing directory is just as bad as stomping on an
   Timothy> existing file.

I consider this a good thing. If I manually created a directory and it
conflicts with an update, chances are I didn't realize that the
directory name was already in use. I don't want monotone to assume
that the purpose of the new directory is compatible with the directory
in the repository, as this may not be the case.

Well, trashing the workspace is never a good thing, no matter how
noble the intentions :-).

Could we just handle this case by issuing a warning and continuing
anyway?  Seriously, it would be like 3 lines of code and definitively
better than what we have now...

Just a thought on the atomic workspace thing...

If monotone took a diff before attempting an update, then if something went wrong you could always reconstruct the state before the update.

In fact, isn't there a system out there that requires all changes be committed before an update, at least onto an anonymous branch?

Cheers,

Will       :-}