[Monotone-devel] Re: OpenEmbedded looking to jump ship

From: Holger Freyther
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: OpenEmbedded looking to jump ship
Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 08:02:38 +0000 (UTC)

Koen Kooi <k.kooi <at> student.utwente.nl> writes:

> Well, git has this feature:
>
> "An example from man git-push:
> --force
> Usually, the command refuses to update a remote ref that is not an
> ancestor of the local ref used to overwrite it. This flag disables the
> check. This can cause the remote repository to lose commits; use it with
> care."
>
> which I suspect will get used quite often "because the server didn't
> seem to respond".

Well,
for the WebKit development at Trolltech we have personal feature branches with
"name/feature", before pushing it to the qtwebkit (master) we do rebase, we
rebase every once in a while and the --force option is useful.

For the qtwebkit (master) branch we only allow fast forwards. So even if you do
--force on our qtwebkit (master) it will refuse. It is a matter of policy and
configuring your server, for qtwebkit at code.staikos.net it is properly
configured... so no need for...

   z.