Re: [Monotone-devel] automate log?

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] automate log?
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 11:57:55 +0200

Stephen Leake schrieb:
I'm thinking of adding a new 'automate log' command.

It would have options for specifying what data to include in the
output, and output everything in basic_io.

The rationale for this is that the current Emacs DVC implementation of
"show log for this file" is incredibly slow.

Emacs DVC uses the existing automate functions to retrieve all the
information it needs for "show log for this file". That ends up being
a _lot_ of automate calls, and it scales with the size of the
database, since essentially every revision  must be examined to see if
it changes the file. Even using automate stdio, it is far too slow to
be useful.

I've implemented that as well and used automate get_content_changed and automate get_corresponding_path so I only had to examine those revisions where the file was actually changed (content marks). This is actually quite fast and can works incrementally just like mtn log does.

Thomas.