Re: [Monotone-devel] wiki

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] wiki
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 00:43:34 +0100

Thomas Moschny schrieb:
> Markus Wanner wrote:
>> Isn't the purpose of a wiki to be simple to edit and easy to search
>> through? Sorry, but I currently miss both functions. But maybe I'm just
>> looking at the wrong places...  please help!
> [...]
> Eventually we'll have a CGI-based mechanism for editing (and committing
> to) the wiki, if that's what you are missing. But before installing that
> that we need to be sure that we can prevent any spamming.

I recently looked into including some search functionality into the wiki
- presumely something that not only searches the wiki, but also the
documentation (I know there is a search plugin available, but this one
requires some local cgi setup for the actual search and Richard is hard
to catch...). Creating a custom search in Google was easy enough [0],
now a couple of points are still missing though:

1) ikiwiki's templates are system-wide installed under
$PREFIX/share/ikiwiki/templates and if I wanted to embed some static
code on every page, I'd need to alter the page.tmpl and include the
complete set in our local copy. This is not that big of a problem, since
 ikiwiki knows a --templatedir option, downside of this approach is that
newer versions of ikiwiki might change template code as well and we have
to take care ourselves then that these changes go into our "version".

2) I'd really like to see our documentation in the same style as the
wiki currently has. I've looked into the makeinfo manpage and there
don't seem to be many options beside --html and --css-include which we
could use there to add a custom header on generated pages. Changing the
general look of the documentation to match the wiki shouldn't be the
problem, though. We could however solve the "header" problems in a
couple of ways - the easiest would be to post-process them with a script
which inserts the needed HTML, a more complex variant would be to let
makeinfo output texinfo XML which could be transformed into any kind of
HTML via XSLT. The latter on requires knowledge of XSLT (which I do not
have) and I think also means a lot of work. A third option would be to
transfer the documentation over to the wiki - but this would prevent to
generate PDF documents easily from the sources (but it could also be a
chance to make information better accessible / distributable /
chunkable, like f.e. the long, not indexed list of automation commands
and other things).

Thomas.

[0]
http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=011460494643054245328:gs3cf1i_t0o&hl=de