Re: [Monotone-devel] wiki

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] wiki
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 15:14:36 +0100

Thomas Keller schrieb:
> Thomas Moschny schrieb:
>> Markus Wanner wrote:
>>> Isn't the purpose of a wiki to be simple to edit and easy to search
>>> through? Sorry, but I currently miss both functions. But maybe I'm just
>>> looking at the wrong places...  please help!
>> [...]
>> Eventually we'll have a CGI-based mechanism for editing (and committing
>> to) the wiki, if that's what you are missing. But before installing that
>> that we need to be sure that we can prevent any spamming.
>
> I recently looked into including some search functionality into the wiki
> - presumely something that not only searches the wiki, but also the
> documentation (I know there is a search plugin available, but this one
> requires some local cgi setup for the actual search and Richard is hard
> to catch...). Creating a custom search in Google was easy enough [0],
> now a couple of points are still missing though:
> [...]
> 2) I'd really like to see our documentation in the same style as the
> wiki currently has. I've looked into the makeinfo manpage and there
> don't seem to be many options beside --html and --css-include which we
> could use there to add a custom header on generated pages. Changing the
> general look of the documentation to match the wiki shouldn't be the
> problem, though.

No new on the setup front, but I've attached the texinfo file I've
created based on the wiki style. This is all a bit quirky since the HTML
makeinfo creates could really be better (i.e. its not always guaranteed
that contents in definition lists are wrapped into <p> paragraph tags,
thus it makes the consistent styling of those rather hard). Also I could
not figure out how to prevent the output of inline styles like
"pre.smallexample" in the resulting HTML, so the only way to override
these problematic styles was to include my CSS after the apparently
default styles and to overwrite the former ones.

In the end you need to do three things:

1) copy the res/ folder from nvm.web over to nvm

2) save the attached texinfo.css in your nvm checkout

3) run

$ makeinfo -I . --no-split --no-headers --output monotone.html --html
monotone.texi --css-include=texinfo.css

from there.

If you then open the generated monotone.html in your browser you should
see the result.

Open tasks / questions:

a) How can the "monotone documentation" header be applied to all single
document files?

b) Is it possible to configure it in a way to output the document path,
ie. "monotone documentation / concepts / branches" and link those?

Thomas.

body {
    margin: 20px;
    font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;
    font-size: 0.625em;
}

h1.settitle {
    margin: -20px;
    margin-bottom: 0;
    background: url(res/bg.png);
    padding: 20px;
    font-size: 2.5em;
    color: white;
    border-bottom: 1px solid #474747;
}

a {
    color: #4627B4;
    text-decoration: none;
}

a:hover {
    text-decoration: underline;
}

.clearfloat {
    clear: both;
}

/* global margin */
p,
ul,
ol,
hr,
div.block-image,
pre {
    margin-top: 1em;
    margin-bottom: 0;
}

/* less top margin for certain consecutive elements */
p + ul,
p + ol,
p + blockquote,
h1 + h2,
h3 + *,
h4 + * {
    margin-top: 0.5em;
}

h1,
h2,
h3,
h4 {
    color: black;
    line-height: 1.2em;
    margin-top: 1.5em;
    margin-bottom: 0;
}

h1,
h2 {
    border-bottom: 1px dotted #474747;
    padding-bottom: 0.2em;
    margin-bottom: 1em;
}

h3 {
    font-size: 1.4em;
}

h4 {
    font-size: 1.3em;
    font-style: italic;
}

p {
    line-height: 1.5em;
}

body > p,
blockquote > p {
    font-size: 1.4em;
}

ul,
ol {
    font-size: 1.3em;
    line-height: 1.75em;
}

ol li *,
ul li * {
    margin-bottom: auto;
    font-size: 1em;
}

ul ol,
ol ol,
ul ul,
ol ul {
    margin-top: 0;
    padding-left: 2em;
    font-size: 1em;
}

dl dd {
    font-size: 1.3em;
    margin-bottom: 1em;
}

dl dd > * {
    font-size: 1em;
}

dl dd ul,
dl dd ol {
    padding-left: 1em;
}

dl dd dl {
    font-size: 0.7692em;
}

dl dt + dd {
    margin-top: 1em;
}

dl dt {
    font-size: 1.4em;
}

dl dt strong {
    font-size: 0.8em;
}

dl dd dl dd {
    margin-bottom: 0.5em;
}

dl dd dl dt + dd {
    margin-top: 0.5em;
}

hr {
    border: 0;
    border-top: 1px dotted #474747;
}

pre,
pre.smallexample {
    background: #F0F0F0;
    border: 1px dotted #474747;
    font-family: monospace, courier;
    padding: 1em;
    /* unfortunately most preformatted sections contain leading whitespaces */
    padding-left: 0;
    white-space: -moz-pre-wrap;
    white-space: pre-wrap;
    overflow: auto;
    font-size: 1em;
}

/* p is 1.4em, so we need the reciproce here to "reset" the size */
p pre,
p pre.smallexample {
    font-size: 0.7142em;
}

/* makeinfo generates spurios p tags including line breaks in tables;
   we don't want these pseudo elements create a margin and screw with our
   layout, so we're hiding them by setting their font-size to 0.
   This _could_ however make problems in the future where we use legit
   tables with paragraphs in them! */
table td + td > pre + p {
    font-size: 0;
}

body * pre {
    font-size: 1em;
}

/* specific styles */
.contents {
    margin-top: 1em;
    border: 1px dotted #474747;
    background: url(res/toc.png) no-repeat 10px 10px #FAFAFA;
    padding: 10px;
    padding-top: 50px;
}

.contents  ul {