[Monotone-devel] Re: Mini Summit 2009

From: Lapo Luchini
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Mini Summit 2009
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 10:53:35 +0100

Markus Wanner wrote:
> Welcome to the Monotone Mini Summit 2009,
>
> I will be around mostly, but also have important non-mtn things on my
> agenda (I'm looking for work in Zurich).

I'm here 'till 18:00 CET (more or less) both today and tomorrow unless
some real life decides to intrude in the agenda; and I mean life as in
life: a close friend of mine is in the process of fork()-ing ;-)

> For the summit, I have only one goal: preparing nvm.stripped for landing.

As a FreeBSD Port mantainer and CygWin package mantainer, I really look
forward it; I never liked the "we include it all" approach much, even if
I can appreciate its reasons...

> First of all, that involves more testing. I've successfully compiled
> nvm.stripped on these systems already:
>  * Debian + Ubuntu Linux
>  * FreeBSD (6.4 and 7.1), Lapo reported 7.0 as well
>  * Gentoo Hardened

I'll be testing CygWin shortly.

> As we have reports from users on Windows and Solaris, I want to try
> these as well, before landing. I've virtual machines in place, but their
> lack of a usable packaging system (and lack of a real shell with ssh, in
> case of windows) makes testing pretty hard. Help with that is greatly
> appreciated.

Cygwin is a life-saver in that regard.
I use its rxvt-zsh even to execute plain win32 commands...
I can't suffer cmd.exe lack of features!

If you have doubts regarding CygWin, ask me (I'm on IRC right now, but
also in mail or on Jabber...).

>  * And second... enjoy the summit!
>
> Happy hacking

Yup ;-)

My personal plans include continuing work on nvm.lapo.selectors, but
that's lower priority than things we can do better as a summit-crowd, as
I can work on that anytime else too.

PS: I guess the american part of the globe will not be online for at
least 4 more hours...

--
Lapo Luchini - http://lapo.it/

“The Magic Words are Squeamish Ossifrage” (Ron Rivest, RSA-129
challenge, 1977)