[Monotone-devel] status of nvm.stripped

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: [Monotone-devel] status of nvm.stripped
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 12:39:55 +0100

Hi,

the list of systems on which nvm.stripped has reportedly compiled fine
grows, thanks to Lapo, oxygene, Stephen, Thomas K., Thomas M. and others
trying it.

The list now consists of:

 * Debian (since etch)
 * Ubuntu (since at least hardy)
 * Fedora 10
 * FreeBSD 6.4, 7.0 and 7.1
 * Windows/Cygwin
 * Gentoo 2008 (hardened)
 * MacOS X (with MacPorts)

Some notes:

Debian etch doesn't ship botan, using a package from testing should work
fine. I might arrange for libbotan1.8 being backported.

Fedora 9 doesn't ship botan, either. I compiled from source, through the
project website you can also find RPMs for botan.

Stephen Leake is trying a MinGW variant.

I'm still fiddling with Solaris 10.

There are only few outstanding issues:

I'm still fiddling with Solaris 10 with packages from opencsw.org, where
gcc refuses to see the pcre.h header file, even though I'm providing
necessary -I flags in CFLAGS, PCRE_CFLAGS

I'd like to lower the required PCRE version as much as possible, since
Fedora 9 ships with PCRE 7.3 and RHEL 5 date back to PCRE 6.6. The unit
tests run through fine on FC9 with 7.3. I didin't test earlier PCRE
versions, though. I remember there's a '%R' syntax change in 7.6. Can
one install newer RPMs for fedora and RHEL easily? Shall we bother with
older pcre versions?

There has been some discussion about lua error handling. AFAICT we
already do catch lua errors in nvm and "convert" them to C++ exceptions
- or rather just interpret them as empty results, which is a bit scary.
However, that's independent of how lua is compiled (as C++ code, as we
do now, or as plain C code, as commonly shipped) and IMO shouldn't
hinder the landing of nvm.stripped.

Some tests fail on various platform, especially on Gentoo Hardened. I
don't think this is related to stripped, but haven't tested.

I've updated the INSTALL document and documented as good as I can. I'm
missing instructions for Windows/Cygwin. Lapo?

Any outstanding platforms you absolutely want to have supported? Comments?

Regards

Markus Wanner

A note more to myself: remember to update nvm.debian-diff with
nvm.stripped related changes:

mtn: propagating net.venge.monotone -> net.venge.monotone.stripped
mtn: [left]  3ed44e41b6047258d7d471ceefc250f5d9962027
mtn: [right] 895209e91afa299bd3069b6f4e8563996634b25a
mtn: warning: Content changes to the file 'debian/control'
mtn: warning: will be ignored during this merge as the file has been
mtn: warning: removed on one side of the merge.  Affected revisions include:
mtn: warning: Revision: 4c625e162bf17c69406de23482187313dafd29cd
mtn: [merged] c3a9ad42a6bbbcea3cf7894a388abee19886525a