Re: [Monotone-devel] status of nvm.stripped

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] status of nvm.stripped
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 13:12:57 +0100

Hi,

Stephen Leake wrote:
> I have a patch for m4/pcre.m4 that fixes a similar problem on Win32
> (it will show up on any system that doesn't have pkg-config).
> ac_link uses CPPFLAGS, _not_ CFLAGS. try specifying CPPFLAGS on the
> configure command line.

Oh, yeah, thanks for that hint. Specifying CPPFLAGS on Solaris did the
trick.

However, CFLAGS_LUA is certainly inappropriate within m4/pcre.m4.

I've read the autoconf manual and figured, that all our
AC_PREPROC_IFELSE and AC_LANG_PROGRAM calls use C++, as we set
AC_LANG([C++]). Thus all CFLAGS are simply ignored. I've cleaned up that
mess (rev 2d842647..), we now have:

 PCRE_CPPFLAGS
 LUA_CPPFLAGS
 IDNA_CPPFLAGS
 SQLITE3_CPPFLAGS

 (and no more *_CFLAGS)

However, we do not currently respect BOTAN_CPPFLAGS or BOTAN_LIBS, it
seems. m4/botan.m4 simply overrides them. Specifying global CPPFLAGS
should work, though.

> I was thinking we should split INSTALL into separate files
> (INSTALL.windows_mingw, etc), but let's see how big it gets first.

Yes, that's a good idea, IMO.

Regards

Markus Wanner