[Monotone-devel] CMD_NO_WORKSPACE(checkout)?

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: [Monotone-devel] CMD_NO_WORKSPACE(checkout)?
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 17:49:22 +0100

Hi all!

I have a change in my local workspace where I make the checkout command
stop looking for workspace options. Main reason for this was a typo like
this

  $ mtn check  # I meant `make check`

which silently checked out the head revision of the workspace' branch
into <branchname>/ of my current workspace.

The underlying problem seems to be that the --branch option is always
read from _MTN/options and for CMD(workspace) its already too late to
determine if this came from the user or _MTN/options (since
app.opts.branchname is overwritten).

While it may be useful to have other defaults read from there, f.e. the
database file path or the key directory, I think it is more confusing
than useful for the checkout command to have this hidden magic, so I'd
rather like to see checkout acting explicitely on the user's input, i.e.
by prompting him to give it a --revision or --branch option.

What do people think?

Thomas.