Re: [Monotone-devel] Text under revision control

From: Ethan Blanton
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Text under revision control
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 13:43:40 -0500

address@hidden spake unto us the following wisdom:
> Now the VCS could use a different difference algorithm when processing
> them.  Or it could unpack them into something easier to process (like a
> sequence of words instead of lines).  Or the word-processor could use a
> better file-format, or be careful to preserve the locations of the
> meaningless line numbers in the file, or insert many of them in standard
> places (such as sentence breaks, or punctuation, or between every two
> words).

Note that gnu wdiff works reasonably well with several plain-text
formats, notably latex.  I use wdiff + latex + VCS quite often, with
reasonably satisfactory results.  There is no 'wpatch', so wdiff is
useful mainly for review, but that's OK -- one generally doesn't care
how the VCS actually *stores* the diffs.

I've not integrated wdiff with monotone's external diff hooks, but I
don't see why it couldn't be done.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.