Re: [Monotone-devel] Text under revision control

From: hendrik
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Text under revision control
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 18:12:21 -0500

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 01:43:40PM -0500, Ethan Blanton wrote:
> address@hidden spake unto us the following wisdom:
> > Now the VCS could use a different difference algorithm when processing
> > them.  Or it could unpack them into something easier to process (like a
> > sequence of words instead of lines).  Or the word-processor could use a
> > better file-format, or be careful to preserve the locations of the
> > meaningless line numbers in the file, or insert many of them in standard
> > places (such as sentence breaks, or punctuation, or between every two
> > words).
>
> Note that gnu wdiff works reasonably well with several plain-text
> formats, notably latex.  I use wdiff + latex + VCS quite often, with
> reasonably satisfactory results.  There is no 'wpatch', so wdiff is
> useful mainly for review, but that's OK -- one generally doesn't care
> how the VCS actually *stores* the diffs.
>
> I've not integrated wdiff with monotone's external diff hooks, but I
> don't see why it couldn't be done.

How long has this beem available without me seeing it!

It does look as if what I really need is to provide an external merge
tool, which can also be specified. External merge seems a lot more
precisely specified than eaternal diff.

What, by the way is the external diff tool used for?  And if it's used
for more than just showing diffs to the user, what format does mtn
demand for the diff file?

-- hendrik