Re: [Monotone-devel] RFE: "mtn status" should add a trailing slash to di

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] RFE: "mtn status" should add a trailing slash to directory names
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 01:48:12 +0200

Thomas Keller schrieb:
> Derrick Moser schrieb:
>> Thomas Keller wrote:
>>> mtn status is the user UI, you probably want to use mtn automate
>>> inventory [0]. There you get all the information:
>> Thanks.  "mtn automate inventory" provides the information I need.  I
>> found a bug while testing it though.  It looks like files with
>> backslashes in their name trigger an assert.  "mtn status" doesn't
>> appear to have this problem.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Derrick
>>
>> $ touch '\'
>> $ mtn automate inventory
>> mtn: fatal: error: paths.cc:420: I(utf8_validate(utf8(data,
>> origin::internal)) && !has_bad_component_chars(data) && data != "." &&
>> data != "..")
>
> I think this is more a general assertion which is not checked in
> inventory. We disallow a couple of chars in path names, amongst them
> slashes and backslashes because this would make problems on some
> platforms. But you're right of course, mtn automate inventory should
> gracefully handle these (unknown) files and probably introduce a new
> "invalid" status flag for them to make sure they can't be added to the
> repository.

Resolved in 90c1f318a2799e6c716c13786934ddabd533f3ac. Since the path
handling is buried very deep inside the code the quickest fix was to
just skip these invalid paths and output a warning instead. You cannot
add them to monotone anyways, so there is actually no point to make them
a part of the payload of automate inventory.

Thomas.