Re: [Monotone-devel] would this work to split a project

From: Judson Lester
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] would this work to split a project
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 15:30:14 -0800

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 11:29 AM, <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 03:25:20PM -0800, Judson Lester wrote:
> There's the more immediate case, even, of discovering that part of one
> project is really a module that should be shareable - you'd like to pull it
> out into its own branch, delete files on both sides, and then merge_into_dir
> the module's branch.  Alas, since they share a common parent, this is
> forbidden.  I have a rough understanding that there's some more-than-trivial
> complication with making that possible, but I'm not clear on what it is.
>
> Judson

Maybe the way to do it is to place new branch certs on the individual
files in each new branch and then just check them out separately on the
different projects?  It reminds me of the way to rename a branch,
except there may be no need to delete the old branch.  Would
this be similar?

-- hendrik

The best you could do, I think, would be to copy the files into a brand to workspace and treat them as the root of a new revision tree.  merge_into_dir considers revision ancestry, and forbids revisions with a common ancestor to be merged.

I suppose the other possibility would be to do the split, then start a new branch with the module pivot_root'd to whereever you'd want it to live (e.g. ./submodules/<modulename>) and then merge that with the original project...  I don't know if that would work as I'd hope (I actually think diediedie might keep it from working) But even so, it seems like an unwieldy kluge.

Judson