monotone-users

Re: [Monotone-users] Monotone on osx mavericks

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-users] Monotone on osx mavericks
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 00:30:39 +0100

Aslak Gronflaten schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using monotone for years - I haven't been able to find an
> alternative that lets me conveniently put all my projects together in
> one database, and allows me to sync all of them to another computer with
> one command.
> Having now updated to osx 10.9, I've not been able to build or find a
> port of monotone 1.0 that works. I've tried macports and homebrew, and
> tried building myself, all without success. Since my db format is long
> since 1.0 , I can't use the 0.48 version available at monotone.ca
> <http://monotone.ca> .
> Do any of you have it working on 10.9? Could you provide build
> instructions and/or a binary download?

I tried to build it myself a couple of weeks ago on Mavericks w/
MacPorts, but got strange linking errors that some symbols from my Botan
1.10 installation could not be found, for example

Botan::get_cipher(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>,
std::allocator<char> > const&, Botan::OctetString const&, Botan::Cipher_Dir)

and a couple of others, though they're existant in the dylib:

$ nm -g -arch x86_64 /opt/local/lib/libbotan-1.10.dylib.0.6 |\
  grep get_cipher
00000000000c3920 T
__ZN5Botan10get_cipherERKNSt3__112basic_stringIcNS0_11char_traitsIcEENS0_9allocatorIcEEEERKNS_11OctetStringENS_10Cipher_DirE
00000000000c38d0 T
__ZN5Botan10get_cipherERKNSt3__112basic_stringIcNS0_11char_traitsIcEENS0_9allocatorIcEEEERKNS_11OctetStringESB_NS_10Cipher_DirE

I haven't gotten any further than this at this point and tried to read
myself into the differences between clang / gcc building again.

I remember somebody said once that monotone should be able to be built
with clang, but I wasn't able to go down that route at all.

By the way, to get it compile at all I had to configure it with

$ ./configure CPPFLAGS="-I/opt/local/include/boost/" \
  CXXFLAGS="-stdlib=libstdc++"

For some reason all Apple / MP compilers default to the new libc++
library headers [0] and since monotone is not aware of them I needed to
force the old compat (or whatever they're called) libstdc++
implementation headers like this.

Thomas.

[0] http://libcxx.llvm.org/