moz-bonobo-list

Re: [moz-bonobo-list] a new mozbonobo plugin

From: Jean Bréfort
Subject: Re: [moz-bonobo-list] a new mozbonobo plugin
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 12:06:49 +0200

Luca Padovani wrote:

Hi Christian,

On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 23:34, Christian Glodt wrote:
As I said, it would be worth trying the CVS version. It should at least
honor the "type" attribute of the <object> tag.

I installed the CVS version, and after a few tweakings in my code it
worked! So we have MathML displayed in mozilla/galeon using the external
widget instead of the native support, yaeee! The reasons why I'm very
much interested in this we'll be explained in the component's home page
as soon as it will have one.

The MathML native support gives very strange result when mozilla is compiled with gtk-2 support ;-)

A few notes:

a) I had to provide an implementation of the PersistStream interface,
even though PersistFile was supported as well. In fact, my PeristStream
is broken, but apparently mozilla-bonobo needs at least to be able to
sense it for working properly

b) now that I have the widget inside the browser, I'd like to have
interactivity. The question is, is it possible to map browser events
back into the bonobo component?

They are mapped. I have written a control using mouse events in Gnome Chemistry Utils.

c) My understanding of the differences between Control and Embeddable is
that the former is usually complete with scrollbars, menus, and so on,
whereas the latter is a naked view which is more suitable for inline
embedding. However, if I look at the

/usr/share/idl/bonobo-2.0/Bonobo_Embeddable.idl

interface, I see no methods other than Unimplemented. What methods am I
supposed to implement?

Bonobo_Embeddable is deprecated in bonobo-2.0. As far as I remember it is still possible to use BonoboCanvasComponent, and working samples should exist in most recent versions of libbonoboui.

d) Is it possible to have the source document embedded directly into the
HTML document, instead of in an external resource?

This is not a problem specific to mozilla-bonobo. It is much more general. The problem is that if you have MathML code in the (X)HTML document, how can you force Mozilla to use a plugin instead of its native support?

Best regards,

Jean