mozilla-nl-dev

RE: [Mozilla-nl-dev] Mozilla Localization Project

From: Witte T.C.
Subject: RE: [Mozilla-nl-dev] Mozilla Localization Project
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 19:54:36 +0200

Hello Subash
First, the central place for Mozilla localization and the best place
for advice is the Mozilla l10n newsgroup at
news://news.mozilla.org/netscape.public.mozilla.l10n or on the web
http://groups.google.nl/groups?group=netscape.public.mozilla.l10n
and the associated website (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/l10n/) is
also helpful.

I don't know which target language you have, but I see that there's
already a team for Hindi (http://www.bttlindia.com/mozilla/).
All registered teams are listed at
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/l10n/mlp_status.html.

If your language is not yet covered, you can start a new project
by for example sending an invitation to the Mozilla newsgroup (to
announce your project and maybe find people wanting to cooperate)
and registering a project at for example Savannah for the sourcecode
and the coordination. You can manage the sourcecode in several
different ways: some people use MozillaTranslator (more information
at the archive of the Mozilla l10n newsgroup and its website
http://www.mozillatranslator.org/), others do it "by hand".

We at the Dutch team do the latter. (You're welcome to look at the
cvs repository to see how. If you have any specific questions, feel
free to ask.) I personally like the method we use, because it makes
it easier to cooperate (cvs handles the version management), and
because it gives complete control over the files (MozillaTranslator
tends to change the order of elements in files and other things that
aren't visible for users, but *are* for us translators).

Another, new way of handling the translation is using multiple .po-
files (as used at the GNU translation project and with GNU Gettext).
More information: http://l10ntools.mozdev.org/.

Success with your project!

With regards,
Taco