RE: [Myexperiment-discuss] Okay, can I get feedback on *this* one?

From: Rob Procter
Subject: RE: [Myexperiment-discuss] Okay, can I get feedback on *this* one?
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 13:30:22 +0100

A design principle I recall from when I used to teach HCI is to design in
monochrome first and add colour later: in other words, don't rely on colour
alone. Some related ones are:

Physiological
o Colours must be considered in context
o Avoid simultaneous display of highly saturated, spectrally extreme, colours
o Avoid pure blue for text, thin lines and small shapes
o Avoid red and green in periphery of large displays

Cognitive
o Use colour sparingly, i.e., 5+/- 2 colours
o Use colour to draw attention
o Use colour to reflect organisation and establish relationships between objects
o Be consistent, follow conventions, but investigate first

Professor Rob Procter
National Centre for e-Social Science
University of Manchester
Dover Street