Re: [Myexperiment-discuss] Re: googling an exp-object

From: Stian Soiland
Subject: Re: [Myexperiment-discuss] Re: googling an exp-object
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 10:59:46 +0100

On 1 Jun 2007, at 08:21, Steve Pettifer wrote:

1) Use a mime/helper application setup. This requires some co- operation from the server side in terms of generating content that can be recognised by the client end as being targeted at a particular helper application. In the case of myExperiment this may be ok (e.g. a bit of scufle, or some other thing that we have control over?) -- for UTOPIA which has to deal with much more heterogeneous resources that aren't under our control, this isn't so good. Advantage: easy to implement, fits neatly with browsers' helper apps (especially if they are java)

I would recommend this, as it's really the cleanest, and requires the least effort. I have chosen these mime-types for use by the long running workflow service:

application/vnd.taverna.scufl+xml  (workflows)
application/vnd.taverna.baclava+xml  (input/output data documents)

(The use of Baclava documents is transitional only, though, as it's a very heavy XML serialisation that can't handle large data properly. I am thinking of a simpler structure where input/outputs are just folders described with text/uri-list - and fetching the actual data elements will give you the raw binary of the claimed mime-type - unless requested with an Accept of text/rdf.)

I have not made up any mime-types for the progress report or the provenance log, although the ladder would presumably be available as an RDF serialisation. I'm not so certain if using an RDF mime type would be very helpful here, as it is a bit too general, and the browser might pop up Address Book to try importing the FoF data instead of popping up a provenance browser. Maybe application/ vnd.taverna.logbook+xml or application/vnd.taverna.logbook +rdf+n3 or some weird variation.

(The REST-part of the workflow service uses XML documents of application/vnd.taverna.rest+xml)

I have not yet registered these with IANA, though, but I don't see a reason why we can't. (They are quite relaxed about vnd registrations)

However, I don't see why a 'google' for "experiment objects" (?) would have to jump straight to the XScufl or similar raw data. Why can't we show a HTML-page that describes the main features of whatever it is we are talking about? That way people without the necessary local software will be able to see what it's all about before starting to install lots of stuff. This is the Web 2.0 way.

--
Stian Soiland, myGrid team
School of Computer Science