[Myexperiment-discuss] [Fwd: Fw: facebook-style communication for academ

From: Carole Goble
Subject: [Myexperiment-discuss] [Fwd: Fw: facebook-style communication for academics]
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 07:55:31 +0100

All

I missed this email completely --
Anyhow -- Nature Notebook. we need to be able to  cross-link to this

Carole

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Fw: facebook-style communication for academics Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 16:59:26 +0100
Hi Carole,
In fact I'm writing this piece tomorrow so I'd definitely need to speak to you today. Alternatively you could respond to the questions below if possible some time today or tomorrow morning. Sorry about that, but my deadline is end of tomorrow.

I'd like to know more about why Nature Network is possibly thought of as a backward step

Also what Access Grid is and how many UK users it has. In what way is it Facebook-style and how is it different to Nature Network.

Do you think fewer people are using Jiscmail?

Why are these Facebook-style tools catching on for academics?

How are they going to change academe? For better or for worse and in what ways?

Facebook is used as a dating tool as well as for other uses. Scientists have a limited number of tenure years at the same place and I have been told they are using these tools for dating too. Have you come across this?

Why do you think these Facebook-style sites are useful to academics?

Do students and academics want to use the same social networking sites?

Many thanks for your help.
Jessica

Jessica Shepherd
020 71317102