RE: [Myexperiment-discuss] non-taverna workflows

From: Linde, A.E.
Subject: RE: [Myexperiment-discuss] non-taverna workflows
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:28:17 +0100

I suspect the answer is that, under Workflows, only Taverna workflows can be
stored since the files are interpreted by the code to extract relevant
information.

But I'd like to widen this into a suggestion. That is that, instead of
distinguishing workflows from other types of scientific objects of interest
that might be stored, that myExp make it possible to store any type of object
as a distinct named type of entity. I know that non-workflows might be stored
as Files but my proposal is that myExp remove the specific ability to store
workflows and abstract that capability to one that permits the storage of any
type of named entity: those entities to be identified at installation time so
that myExp can be customised for different scientific enterprises.

The way it might work is that, at deployment time, the site owners would
identify in some config file, the entities that would be 'named'. Along with
each entity, would be the fields to be stored relevant to each entity. And then
plugin code is provided for each entity which takes the uploaded file and
decodes it to provide the stored fields. This could include the type of stuff
embedded in each workflow file or generated on the fly. Finally, the config
supplies a spec (xform?) for the layout of the named entity in each way that it
might be displayed.

This generic capability could all be provided under the single current workflow
tab or, maybe better, a separate tab is created for each such named entity.

In the case of Astronomy, we'd stick with Taverna-type workflows, supplemented
perhaps with more derived information from the global registries, but would add
another tab for Queries.

I'd been meaning to suggest this for a while but thought this post a good
opportunity.

Cheers,
Tony.