[Myexperiment-discuss] Re: Cardiovascular Disease - book chapter

From: Paul Fisher
Subject: [Myexperiment-discuss] Re: Cardiovascular Disease - book chapter
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 16:55:44 +0100

Dear Steve,

Unfortunately I have had no response about the book chapter as yet. The person with whom I am corresponding is contactable, but has not given any feedback yet.

With respect to the NAR paper  - these are the only citations I can find:

  1.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6W8B-4RY6WS8-1&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=f44bb5f7b9e5c12be8ae3048ab562982
  2. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2105/8/S8/P7
  3. ftp://ftp.fao.org/docrep/fao/010/i0072t/i0072t02.pdf

I may know of a few others but I'm not sure if they are finished/published or not. I hope the myGrid team can help out here.

*MyGrid + myExperiment *(*urgent*!!!!), Can you please let me know if you have cited my NAR paper (http://nar.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/35/16/5625) and it has been accepted/published. Steve Kemp from the Wellcome Trust African Trypanosomiasis project would like an update, and it may mean a prize and more recognition for workflows!!!

With respect to the workflows, I am unsure as to the groups that have used my workflows, but, on the myExperiment web site, they come in as highly downloaded and viewed:

  1. http://www.myexperiment.org/workflows/16 - QTL to pathway workflow
     (*Viewed:* 1113 times | *Downloaded:* 1148 times)
  2. http://www.myexperiment.org/workflows/19 - Probeset to Pathway
     workflow (*Viewed:* 857 times | *Downloaded:* 789 times)
  3. http://www.myexperiment.org/workflows/13* - *Compare Probeset and
     QTL pathways (*Viewed:* 682 times | *Downloaded:* 533 times)

The most downloaded workflow, http://www.myexperiment.org/workflows, is buitl upon the Probeset to Pathway workflow in the NAR paper. This is a re-use example where it has been adapted to perfom data analysis from the CEL file directly, and then output a list of KEGG pathways from differentially expressed genes. I helped to build this workflow with a researcher in Sheffield (Afsaneh - Cc'd). Afsaneh. could you please give a little description of why it was built and where it is used?

I'm not really sure if this all helps you. The myGrid and myExperiment teams may be able to help you out a lot better. Sorry. N.B. I think this comes back to why users of myExperiment need updates as to who downloaded their workflows and re-used them - see Paul + Marco conversations in earlier myExperiment discuss!!!

regards,
Paul.

Steve Kemp wrote:
Dear Paul

Also can you give me any further information on your NAR paper ? Do you have a latest citation count for it and are you able to give anupdated list of people/projects that have downloaded your workflows ?

This is quite important, quite embarrassing and very urgent ! As you may remember, a while ago we claimed 'networked science' as a showpiece output for the tryps research and took your NAR paper as the key publication on this. Well, the CGIAR rated our stuff very highly and now ILRI wants an urgent update on it - we are in danger of winning a prize!! If that happens I don't know what I will do - perhaps we can take you on as a consultant for 1 week then you can travel to Washington to collect it as an ILRI employee!!

Obviously I will do all I can to bounce the credit back to you, but we are selling ILRIs involvement in world class and networked science which is important to them and which this really does reflect. So I think that we can be honest and accurate.

Thanks

Steve