Re: [Myexperiment-discuss] Why don't scientists share data?

From: Paolo Missier
Subject: Re: [Myexperiment-discuss] Why don't scientists share data?
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 18:15:20 +0100

Paul Fisher wrote:
Paolo Missier wrote:
hi,
here is one possible distinction (a bit cynical, maybe): you can squeeze multiple papers out of a single dataset, but normally it is not the other way around. In other words, there is a preferred direction in the food chain of knowledge.
I would have to disagree. My text mining has told me otherwise :)
Though, this may be multiple datasets out of multiple papers. Oh, it's all very confusing.
oh, you mean the smart algorithms you need to extract information once it's been buried into scholarly text :-)

I know. In a self-referential sort of sense, you do squeeze papers out of papers, just look at those who publish in the text mining community.

-Paolo