[Myexperiment-discuss] Roadmap and knowledge packs

From: Gorissen D.
Subject: [Myexperiment-discuss] Roadmap and knowledge packs
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 18:08:06 +0100

Hello,

I am quite new to the myExperiement ecosystem (congrats to the nice, open, framework btw!) so apologies if this is the wrong mailinglist for this question or if this has been asked recently before (where can I search the archives btw?).

Some background: I am part of an aerospace research project (under Prof. Andy Keane) at Soton, and we need a workflow execution, management, and publishing system.  Associated with this we will also need a data management system to store all the files/results/metadata/.. associated with each workflow instance and the project it belongs to.  I am currently investigating a Taverna/myExperiement based solution.  An alternative would be to go the Microsoft route with Trident/Sharepoint.   I have two questions:

1) I spent some time browsing the myExperiment wiki and noted that the roadmap pages were outdated:

http://wiki.myexperiment.org/index.php/Roadmap

http://wiki.myexperiment.org/index.php/EnhancementWorkplan

Is anybody aware of what the current status/plans are?  I ask because it would be good to have an idea where the project is going, what funding is available, etc. if we are to build our own toolchain around it.  I have gone through some slides I found of David De Roure’s, and the News page contains some hints (e.g., phase two JISC funding approved) but any other firsthand info, tips, comments, etc. would be much appreciated.

2) It is still not clear in my mind how to best deal with the data management case (roll our own, build around something like DSpace, ...?).  >From the slides I saw, it seems like myExperiement is solving (has solved?) this with the knowledge pack abstraction, slide 54 in (*).  Together with a proper versioning mechanism, this would be exactly what I am looking for.  Again, some elaboration on the status/roadmap here would be very useful.

Many thanks,

Best regards,

Dirk

(*) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1202407/Presentations/myExpOR10.pptx

--

Dr. Dirk Gorissen

Research Fellow

Computational Engineering and Design Research Group

Room 2041, Building 25, Highfield Campus

School of Engineering Sciences

University of Southampton

Tel: +44-2380-598-369

E-mail: address@hidden