[Myexperiment-discuss] Sharing experience about a myExperiment local ins

From: Olivier Hamon
Subject: [Myexperiment-discuss] Sharing experience about a myExperiment local installation
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 15:47:40 +0100

Hello everyone,

After spending some time on a myExperiment local installation, I would like to share the issues I encountered and the solutions I found to make myExperiment work. Some issues may be due to my misunderstanding about the instructions, and I guess there are certainly better solutions!

My software specifications are the following (a bit more up-to-date than in the instructions):
 * Debian squeeze
 * Apache 2.2.14
 * MySQL Version 14.14, Distribution 5.1.41
 * Java 1.6.0

I have used the instructions from http://wiki.myexperiment.org/index.php/Developer:UbuntuInstallation, as available on March 10.

Looking at the different instruction steps, here are the actions that I have had to add.

- Before installing all the GEMs required by MyExperiment (gem install builder cgi_multipart_eof_fix daemons dsl_accessor fastthread gem_plugin hoe json mime-types mongrel mongrel_cluster needle net-sftp net-ssh openid_login_generator RedCloth ruby-yadis solr-ruby xml-simple libxml-ruby oauth ruby-hmac openurl --include-dependencies), the following command was required:

>> gem update --system

I don't remember all the details, but for instance, I was not able to install hoe.

   I also added:

>> gem install rubyzip

   otherwise I got problems later.
 - From the rake commands, I had to do several things:

rake db:migrate => I got many duplicate errors during the database installation: * 'create table' duplicates in files db/migrate/{006,009,022,049,050,076,089}... => I removed the files * 'alter table' duplicates in files db/migrate/{023,069,070}... => I commented the involved lines * 'index' duplicates in files db/migrate/{075,086,087}... => I commented the involved lines
      without those modifications, rake was aborted.
I also changed production environment into development (3 times in the migrate.sh file)

rake solr:start => rake was aborted for some mysterious reasons, and I applied a patch found there: http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/attachments/835/net_http_socket_close.patch

./resolr.sh => myExperiment is in production mode by default, and I assume the database installation is in development mode (otherwise I get error messages there). Then I changed myExperiment into development mode in config/environment.rb and resolr.sh files

ruby script/server => before starting the script and in order to make it work, I had to do the following installation:

>> apt-get install mongrel

Now, myExperiment is working and I'm going to work on the myExperiment usage itself :)

Anyway, I would be glad to know if there are better solutions to those issues.

Best,
Olivier

Olivier HAMON                          address@hidden
ELDA - Evaluations and Language resources Distribution Agency
55-57, rue Brillat Savarin             Tel : +33 1 43 13 33 43
75013 Paris - France                   Fax : +33 1 43 13 33 30
http://www.elda.org                    http://www.lrec-conf.org
http://catalog.elra.info               http://www.hlt-evaluation.org