myexperiment-hackers

Re: [myexperiment-hackers] More spam

From: David R Newman
Subject: Re: [myexperiment-hackers] More spam
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 15:02:36 +0100

Hi All,

I can see this may become a bigger and bigger problem as time goes on. The only solution I can think of is that we put new users on "probation" as it were. I.e. we restrict the number of messages they can send for the first two weeks or so. If we make this clear to users, only if they happen to go over their probation quota (but don't tell them how long the probation period is) and say that if you contact us we will remove them from probation if we are happy they are a legitimate user.

I think legitimate users will not have a problem with this because they will see we are trying to protect them from spammers. At the same time spammers will probably lose interest before they can spam too heavily.

Thoughts?

Dave Newman