nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Patch to execute external command and inerst output int

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Patch to execute external command and inerst output into buffer...
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 00:20:51 -0500

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 12:36:16AM -0600, Dwayne Rightler wrote:

> Ok... same patch, but this time with better error checking and redirection
> of stderr that actually works...

Hi Dwayne,

        Thank you for the patch! (and apologies for the delay).  I've
commited a somewhat modified version of your patch and credited you in
the ChangeLog.  I need to go to sleep now but I think that we're going
to have to change the execl code and manually set the pipe rather than
relying on the shell to do it with bourne-ish syntax (though I guess
it's not too bad to assume /bin/sh is a bourne shell :-).  I changed the
control key to ^X since ^E conflicts with a keypad key and ^X isn't
used; though it may be confusing I find ^R^X easier than ^R,M-E or
something like that.  It also now uses the new safe_tempnam command and
I decided that we probably wouldn't need it with NANO_SMALL so I
#ifdefed it around that.

Also, your patch helped me find a big bug in the read code...if a
non-existent command was typed, the resulting pipe would be 0 bytes.  In
all versions of nano, attempting to insert a file of 0 bytes would cause
nano to go into an infinite loop, so thank you for helping me notice
that :) That's now fixed in both CVS branches...Jordi, do you think this
may have been related to the unrepeatable lock-ups in nano-tiny?

I'll try to work on this code more some later in the week once the
tumult at my current job subsides.  Night!

Chris A
--
Chris Allegretta        http://www.asty.org

"Share and Enjoy" - Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001