nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] CVS question.

From: Jordi Mallach
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] CVS question.
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 12:10:27 +0100

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 02:44:52PM +1100, Ken Tyler wrote:
> I fixed up CVS, lost CVS_RSH, my fault, running different shells in
> different consoles - trying to adapt to bash after tcsh.

Ah, sorry. I hadn't seen that error message in a long time and couldn't
remember.

> I'm now in sync to the very latest commits but of course there's a
> problem or two, this is exactly what I was trying to avoid by ditching
> PPC...

:)

> autogen.sh gives
>
> Please use AM_GNU_GETTEXT([external]) in order to cause autoconfiguration
> to look for an external libintl.
>
> Please run 'aclocal -I m4' to regenerate the aclocal.m4 file.
> You need aclocal from GNU automake 1.5 (or newer) to do this.
> Then run 'autoconf' to regenerate the configure file.
>
> You might also want to copy the convenience header file gettext.h
> from the /usr/share/gettext directory into your package.
> It is a wrapper around <libintl.h> that implements the configure
> --disable-nls
> option.

This is because autoreconf is calling gettextize, instead of autopoint.
I have inspected autoconf's changelog, and find out they "fixed" this
between 2.53 and 2.54. What autoconf are you using?

> (aclocal is 1.6.3)
> (gettext is 0.11.4 not 0.11.5, how important is this ?)

When you upgrade autoconf, it will whine about gettext being old. You
can just change the version requireemnt down to 0.11.4 in
AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION in your tree then, and it should be well.

> after this I'm not in sync anymore :

Yeah, gettextize sucks :(

> -AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION(0.11.5)
> +AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION(0.11.4
>  AM_GNU_GETTEXT([external], [need-ngettext])

This is evil. And a bug, I guess.

So, try updating autoconf a bit first, to 2.54 or later.
If you can't, there are other alternatives, like using the old
autogen.sh with the manual calls.

Jordi
--
Jordi Mallach PĂ©rez  --  Debian developer     http://www.debian.org/