nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] more on Home/End not working atstatusbarw/ALT_KEYPADon

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] more on Home/End not working atstatusbarw/ALT_KEYPADon xterm
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:44:35 -0700 (PDT)

--- Wouter Van Hemel <address@hidden> wrote:

<snip>

>> 3. In the edit window, press Backspace and Delete, and let me know
>> what gets printed out for each key.  It should be something like
>> "AHA! '[some character]' ([some number])".  I just need to know what
>> [some number] is for each key.
>
>AHA!    (263) [backspace]
>AHA!  J (330) [delete]
>
>> 4. Run nano without -K in an xterm, and repeat #3.
>
>AHA!  J (330) [backspace] (aterm)
>AHA!    (27)  [delete]
>
>AHA!    (263) [backspace] (gnome-terminal)
>AHA!    (27)  [delete]
>
>AHA!    (263) [backspace] (eterm)
>AHA!    (330) [delete]
>
>AHA!    (263) [backspace] (xterm)
>AHA!     7)   [delete]
>        ^^^
>   probably (27)
>
>AHA!  J (330) [backspace] (gnome-terminal debian)
>AHA!    (27)  [delete]
>
>AHA!  J (330) [backspace] (xterm debian)
>AHA!    (27)  [delete]
>
>TERM was always "xterm". I don't know why it looks so random. Weird
>that Eterm gets it right, just like in console... so -d will break
>Eterm, but fix other xterm's. I guess the safest bet would be to try
>adding 330 and 263 for Backspace, and 27 for Delete.

Okay; all this clears it up for the most part.  330 == KEY_DC and 263 ==
KEY_BACKSPACE.  (Incidentally, Lee Nelson's hack to interpret KEY_DC as
KEY_BACKSPACE works the same as using both 263 and 330 for Backspace.)
We'll have to interpret KEY_DC as Backspace when using -d, and interpret
KEY_DC normally as Delete when not using -d.

As for Delete, something is weird.  The output would say 27 if Delete
were generating an escape sequence, but if you're not using -K, then
there shouldn't be any escape sequences generated, unless of course
something else is screwed terminal-wise.  Also, the delete character for
both xterm and the FreeBSD console when -K is used is supposed to be
127, so even that's not being generated.  There's another way to find
out what's being generated, though.  Would you please do the following
(and here's hoping that this is the last thing I need you to do
input-wise; sorry that this has been such a hassle):

1. Apply my verbatim input patch to either latest nano CVS or nano 1.2.1
vanilla (with the latter, it'll be slightly out of sync, but it'll still
apply and work):

http://pooka_regent.tripod.com/patches/nano/nanoverbatim-patch.txt

2. Run nano without -K in any of the terminals that makes Delete
generate 27.

3. Press Meta-V or the equivalent in the edit window.  You should see
"Verbatim input" get printed on the statusbar.

4. Press Delete, and tell me exactly what gets printed out (including
any control characters).

Thanks in advance, again.