nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] bug report: strange behaviour in large console windows

From: Wouter Van Hemel
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] bug report: strange behaviour in large console windows
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 17:46:30 +0100 (CET)

[ quote from Tom Weber <address@hidden> ]

> >Without, it works fine in my 80x40 Konsole. But sometimes I hit keys by
> >accident, which produce unicode characters, and it totally messes up
> >nano. The cursor jumps around erratically when moved over those
> >characters, text appears in strange places.

I have a similar problem, sometimes when my fingers slip I somehow insert
invisible codes into my file (e.g. a perl or shell script), and when I try
to parse and run it, I get strange errors about bad syntax or 'command not
found'. It's rather annoying, going nuts to find a syntax error that isn't.

hexdump or vi(m) show the bad characters, like \xa\x23 (or something
similar), so when I get syntax errors for lines that are definitely ok, I
just close nano, open vim, delete the sequence, and go back to nano.

It's possible my keyboard sometimes (accidently) inserts invalid
characters for the charset nano is in, but it would be less painful to
show those unicode or escape sequences so the user can delete them,
instead of having 'hidden characters'.