nano-devel

[Nano-devel] Re: bug in indent/unindent

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: [Nano-devel] Re: bug in indent/unindent
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 10:24:38 -0400

Benno Schulenberg wrote:

<snip>

> At the moment, in CVS, M-[ indents and M-] unindents; to me the
> other way around would seem more logical.

I have a good reason for the current order.  See below.

> With the current code, when opening the ChangeLog file, marking a few
> lines, and hitting in quick succession M-], M-[, M-], M-[ and M-], a
> line is cleared on the third keystroke, and on the fifth it produces
> this:
>
> *** glibc detected *** realloc(): invalid size: 0x080b7018 *** Aborted

I don't get this message, but, after looking into it, I noticed that the
mark handling didn't account for an underflow when subtracting, so the
beginning mark coordinate would end up far out of range.  I've fixed
that problem in current CVS.  Could you try it and let me know whether
this still happens?  Thanks in advance.

> Also, when hitting M-[ say five times in a row, after a seconds pause
> it inserts four brackets ([[[[) at the cursor position.

There's always a delay after pressing Meta-[, because many escape
sequences start with Esc [.  This is hardcoded into curses, and there's
no way to get rid of it without breaking escape sequence support.  This
is why { and } are first, since they don't have the problem, even if you
have to use the Shift key to get them.  Sorry for the inconvenience, but
it's another terminal oddity...