nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Soft line wrapping is in SVN

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Soft line wrapping is in SVN
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 01:48:11 -0400

Hannes, thank you for the detailed bug report, it is extremely helpful,
I'll address your questions inline.

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 12:53 PM, Hannes<address@hidden> wrote:
> This is excellent news! I just checked it out from subversion. Though
> you probably know about them already, here are a few issues I had with
> this new feature:
>
> - Exactly one character is apparantely 'eaten' when soft-wrapping a
>  line. It is the character which without soft-wrapping would have
>  disappeared behind the $ character indicating the line goes on.

Ok, this should be fixed now in r4404, thank you for noticing that.
Let me kow if it's still not quite right.

> - Using soft scrolling, when a soft-wrapped line is on the very bottom
>  of the screen, trying to scroll down further using the down cursor
>  key doesn't really work. The cursor position indicator increases the
>  number of the current line as expected, but the actual viewport
>  doesn't move anymore. So nano basically claims it's still scrolling
>  down when it isn't visibly. Page down enables me to jump over these
>  spots, on the other hand.
>
> - Scrolling up and down (again, using soft scrolling) will sometimes
>  duplicate lines one or two line above where they actually are.

These two will be more fun to fix.  I will try and work on them over the next
few days.

> - Not a bug, but more of a 'wishlist' item concerning soft-wrapping: It
>  would be great if nano could wrap the lines at a word boundary
>  instead of exactly at the right of the screen.

Hmm, that would definitely be more complicated, but it might be feasible.

> - Sugar-coating-on-top-kind-of item: Ideally, it would be configurable
>  whether soft-wrapped lines start on the left or whether they follow a
>  kind of deep indentation, i.e. indent the wrapped part of the line
>  one level more than the line basically is.

That's a possibility, but it might need to be an rcfile-only option argument to
set the number of spaces it would indent, it's not much more code than
indenting a fixed amount.  if I made -$ take an argument on the command
line, people would probably try and use it without spacing, e.g -$8, and the
shell would then interpret that as a variable.  Worth thinking more about
though. Anyone else have strong opinions on indenting soft-wrapped text?